- Best Water Softeners – Winners
- Top 10 Water Softener Reviews of 2017
- #1 Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grains Capacity Water Softener
- #2 Watts RV PRO-1000 OR M7002 10000 Grains Portable Water Softener
- #3 ON THE GO OTG3NTP3M Portable Water Softener
- #4 Aquasana EQ-SS20 SimplySoft Salt-Free Water Softener
- #5 Eddy Water Descaler Electronic Water Softener
- #6 Iron Pro 2 Combination Water Softener
- #7 NuvoH2O Water Softener
- #8 GE GXSH45V 45,100 Grain Water Softener
- #9 ABCwaters Portable Water Softener 16,000 Grain Capacity
- #10 Morton System Saver 30,000 Grain Water Softener M30
- Why do you need a Water Softener?
- Different brands of Water Softener
- How does a Water Softener work?
- How to Install a Water Softener?
- How to Maintain a Water Softener?
- What Size of Water Softener do I need?
- How do I know if the Softener is working properly?
- How long does the Water Softener last?
- Installation Cost of the Water Softener
- How to Set the Hardness level in the Water Softener?
- What happens when the Water Softener runs out of salt?
- How to determine the Hard Water?
- How much Salt to put in a Water Softener?
- Which Type of Salt is suitable for Water Softener?
- Whole House Water Filter vs Water Softener
- How to replace the Water Softener?
- What is a Water Softener?
The water softener helps to remove the chemicals like calcium and magnesium from the hard water. The resulting soft water is suitable for drinking and other household purposes. In this article, we are going to discuss each and everything in detail about the water softener.
The presence of such harmful chemicals in the water makes the cleaning process difficult for you. If you clean the utensils with this water, then it may leave some stain on it. And it also decreases the lifespan and effectivity of the soap used for washing purpose. It may have many side effects on your skin and hair.
Best Water Softeners – Winners
If you are lazy enough to read the reviews, then we will provide a Sneak Peek to the Best 3 among all the Water Softeners.
Currently, the Top Unit is the Fleck 5600SXT Water Softener. You will get different options for this model, in terms of filter handling capacity. We are mainly dealing with the 48,000 grains unit. The Top Head portion comes with digital controls, along with the easy installation method.
Are you looking out for a water softener for your RVs? Then you must consider the Watts RV Pro-1000 Portable Softener. Thus you can choose this softener for all those on-the-go rides. (Just make sure that the unit fits rightly for your RV model before making the purchase.)
If you are among those searching for Activation Carbon and UV filtration support, go for Aquasana EQ-SS20 SimplySoft! There is no much thinking here, as you won’t get anything better than this one. Also, they make use of NSF certified materials for the making.
Top 10 Water Softener Reviews of 2017
To find out more about the Top recommended softeners in a detailed format, keep on reading this post. Following are the best picks from our side, along with the complete review for the same.
#1 Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grains Capacity Water Softener
The Fleck is undoubtedly one of the best brands that make high-quality water softeners at a reasonable price range. This model from Fleck is best suitable for the small and medium-sized family. It comes with many amazing user-friendly specifications that are easy to use without any difficulty.
This Fleck softener uses salt to soften the hard water, so it uses the regeneration process. It has the automatic system to start the regeneration process that makes it easy for you to use the machine. You can easily set up this water softener to start getting rid of the problem of hard water.
The softener has a great capacity of holding up to 48,000 that helps in the faster-softening process. Also, the softener is built with such a design that it requires very less maintenance. This large grain capacity helps in improving the life of the water softener, so it will last for years.
- Complete system
- The box of the water softener consists of all the necessary tools that are required in such machine. It includes the resin beads, tank, control head, and the brine tank. These are the major components one must look out for in a complete water softener.
- Digital display
- The control panel of this unit is having a digital display on the front. With this, you can have all the important information at a glance. This will not only save your time but also help in providing you with the accurate information.
- Regeneration system
- There is an automatic tool in this softener that generates the regeneration process after a regular interval of time. This makes sure that the softener works properly without any kind of difficulty. The regeneration process totally depends on the amount of water softened by the softener.
- The installation of this Fleck water softener is very easy and can be done in few steps. You can complete the installation in a very less time without any difficulty.
The above are some of the amazing features of this water softener that makes it one of the best in today’s market. Though with these specifications, there are some downgrades of this product. Now let’s have a look at the disadvantages of this product.
- Maintain the Salt level
- As this is a salt based tool, so you have to use the right amount of salt. Also, you have to regularly replace the salt bags inside this water softener.
- Large size
- This Fleck water softener is quite heavy and bulky in size that makes it difficult to carry and move around. You can also face some difficulty while installing because of the large size.
Overall the Fleck 5600SXT water softener is an efficient machine that will definitely meet your expectations. Apart from the two drawbacks, this is an amazing machine to soften the hard water by using the salt mechanism. If you are looking for a fully automatic water softener, then this must be your first choice.
#2 Watts RV PRO-1000 OR M7002 10000 Grains Portable Water Softener
If you are looking for a water softener that has the capability to supply a large amount of water for your family. Then Watts RV is one of the best choices for you as it can soften a large amount of water. You can use it for the cooking or washing purposes and other household works.
It is not only available at an affordable range but also provides all the necessary specifications. The RV in this Watts model means recreational vehicles. You can also use this water softener while traveling because of its soft solution of providing water. It is small in design and weighs about 24 pounds only.
This water softener is very easy to use for the first time buyers. You can install this machine without the need of any additional tools and accessories. It offers a great solution to the hard water at a great price with the same quality as that of an expensive one.
- Automatic Flow valve
- This is a special feature in this water softener that works automatically during the start of the regeneration process. This begins with the salt consumption without disconnecting the unit. This will help to save your time and ensure that the gadget works for a long time.
- Great flow rate
- The Watts RV works at a great flow rate while softening the water. You can dispense a large amount of water at a high flow rate in less time. It has a flow rate of up to 4 gallons per minute providing clean and soft water.
- Well built base
- The sturdy base of this water softener helps in an additional security of the machine. This base provides better stability of the softener while performing the softening process. It will prevents any kind of softener damage.
- Portable design
- This machine weighs only 24 pounds that makes it easy to carry around and install it anywhere. So, you won’t face any kind of difficulty while installing or transporting this tool.
- High capacity resin tank
- The resin tank of this water softener has a high capacity for an effective softening process. It has the capability of delivering 1/3 of a cubic foot of a premium resin tank. This will ensure with quality resulting water (free from hardness).
This water softener provides you with all the important specifications that are required for an efficient softening process. You can use this machine for a long time because of its high-quality durable design.
- Because of the small and portable design of this water softener, it is ideal for the small families.
- This softener operates on the manual regeneration process. So, the machine has to work more to start this process of regeneration. You can fix this problem by spending a small amount of money.
- Also, the hose of this system doesn’t rotate automatically. So, you have to manually fix this problem by rotating it.
The Watts RV water softener has a great flow rate and provides you with a quality soft water. It doesn’t have the option to automatically start the regeneration process. So, we don’t recommend this product if you are looking a fully automatic softener. Otherwise, this is a good option as it delivers quality water to your family.
#3 ON THE GO OTG3NTP3M Portable Water Softener
This water softener from ON THE GO is a small yet an effective machine for softening the hard water. You can take this softener with you while traveling around. It comes with all the necessary features that are required for efficient working. It can soften a large quantity of water in a very less time.
The softener is designed in such a way that it will be easy for you to install. It will also help in transferring it from one place to another. The swivel cable of the softener has the ability to rotate around for quick installation and better convenience. It has a very simple and easy installation that can be done without any difficulty.
This water softener uses salt to soften the hard water by removing the hard materials. With the help of the salt technique, it can remove up to 95% of the hard elements from the water. You will get the soft water in a large quantity that too in a less time.
- Compact design
- This water softener is small and compact in design that makes it perfect for the quick installation. Due to its lightweight, you can easily take this item anywhere along with you. You can easily fit this machine in any small place.
- Salt softening process
- This softener uses the salt which is the most effective technique for softening the water. The salt softening process is one of the most used and well known softening processes. It gives you the best results at a very economical price range.
- If you want to add the salt it, then you can do this easily as it has a large top. Also, don’t forget to change the salt bags at a regular interval of time.
- Large capacity
- It has a very large capacity of softening the water in a very less time. This appliance can remove up to 16,000 grains at one time. So, it best suitable for the small and medium-sized family. You can also use it for a large family by decreasing the concentration level.
With all the above amazing specifications this water softener assures you to provide soft water. It delivers about 40% more soft water than the regular water softeners. Also, it has a very less regeneration time that uses a little amount of salt in the softener.
- The shut-off valves of the machine are made from the plastic material. So, they are more prone to breakage and may not last for a long time.
- Some of the customers have reported the leakage issues in this device. The water keeps leaking from the bottom of this water softener.
This small designed water softener from On The Go is very effective and convenient machine. It has the capacity to generate a large amount of water in a very less time. Though some users suffered from the leakage issues we didn’t see any other such problem. So, you can buy this water softener without any doubt.
#4 Aquasana EQ-SS20 SimplySoft Salt-Free Water Softener
The Aquasana water softener comes with many advanced features for softening the water. It has the ability to remove up to 90% of chlorine from the water. This device uses all the NSF standard accessories (reference) that are built from highly durable materials. So, you can use it for a long time without any kind of damage.
This water softener does not use electricity and salt for softening the water. You will get ultra-clean water at the end of the softening process after the removal of the hard materials. It also helps in reducing harmful contaminants from the water making it safe for drinking purpose.
As it does not uses salt to soften the water, so there will be no chance of scale formation. The plumbing will not get rusted and will last for years. It will remove the harmful elements by keeping the necessary minerals in the water. So, the water generated through this softener is safe to use.
- Activated carbon technology
- The Aquasana water softener uses the activated carbon technology to soften the hard water. With the help of this technology, it will produce ultra-clean water free from the hard materials. You can then use this water for drinking and other household purposes (reference).
- Smart design
- This softener is designed in such a way to improve the overall performance of the tool. It has the dual tank that is designed in such a way that the water comes in contact with the grabbing media. This will help to remove a lot of contaminants from the water.
- UV filtration technique
- It also uses the most well-known filtration process that is UV filtration (reference). With this technology, the softener can remove 99.99% of the chemicals and other impurities.
- This softener is available in a reasonable price range but the cartridge filters of this are much expensive. You have to spend around $100 on each replacement.
- It is not that much effective in removing the hard water that could have a negative impact.
- Also, the installation of this water softener is quite tricky and takes a lot of time.
This water softener is quite effective in removing the harmful elements from the water. It will prevent the plumbing accessories from rust or any scale build up. So, the water softener can easily last for a long time. But other than the benefits there are some cons of this softener that should be considered before buying it.
#5 Eddy Water Descaler Electronic Water Softener
This water softener from Eddy uses a different method with amazing features to soften the hard water. It has a very different process of softening the hard water compared to other softeners. This softener uses the magnetic field to lower the effect of the hard water by removing the harmful elements (reference).
It uses the system that will be effective for a particular amount of time. This machine doesn’t remove the hard materials but it helps to suspend them. It suspends these elements for a specific amount of time. So, you don’t have to worry about the hard water in that time.
This is a very popular and effective method used across the world for the hard water. The magnets are placed around the water pipes to decrease the effect of the elements by generating a magnetic field. This magnetic field helps in reducing the effect of the hard elements present in the water.
- Small and compact design
- The Eddy water softener comes in a very small and compact design that doesn’t use much space. So, you can use this softener in a very less space because of its portable design. Also, you can easily install and run this softener without any difficulty.
- Affordable system
- This softener provides amazing specifications even at a low price. You can buy this machine at an affordable price range from the Amazon online store. It provides all the necessary features that are present in the expensive water softener.
- Maintain the healthy minerals in the water
- The Eddy water softener completely reduces the impact of the hard elements present in the water. But it does so by keeping the healthy minerals in the water. So, you will get all the benefits from the water while drinking.
You can install this water softener within a few minutes without using any additional tools. The softener won’t allow any type of scale build up in the plumbing tools because of the magnetic field produced near the water pipes.
- The magnetic field that is used by this softener doesn’t eliminate the risk of the hard water. It just suspends it for a particular amount of time.
- This is not recommended for the water having hardness level more than 20 GPG (reference). It gives the best result under this hardness level.
You can use this water softener if the hardness level of the water is less than 20 GPG. It is best suitable for the household having an average amount of hardness level. So, we don’t recommend this product for the customers who are living in a hard water area where the hardness level is quite high.
#6 Iron Pro 2 Combination Water Softener
The Iron Pro 2 comes with a large capacity of up to 64,000 grain that generates a large amount of water. It can produce soft water in a very less time as it uses fine mesh resin. This mesh resin also helps in improving the life of the filter. So, the filter will last for a long amount of time without any difficulty.
This water softener comes with a digital display that has controls which makes it easy to use. With the help of these controls, you can easily set up it within a few minutes. These controls allow you to check the current status and error codes for more information about the softener.
You will get the complete system with the box that is the resin tank, brine tank, control head, and the safety float. It also uses the metered tool that tracks the amount of water that is used and regenerated. This will help in lowering the salt usage and also the wastewater (reference).
- Installation manual
- This water softener comes with an installation manual with the instructions for using the device. You can use it for the installation purpose and other tips that will help you in the future.
- Bypass valve
- The bypass valve which is made of the stainless steel in the softener helps in the easy connection. It has a one-inch connection for plumbing and other servicing of the machine. This will help you maintain the softener for a long time.
- LCD digital display
- There is an LCD display on the softener that shows you with the different kinds of information. It digitally displays the information like current status and other error codes. This will also help you in troubleshooting the different problems in the softener.
- Large capacity
- The water softener has a large capacity of softening the water in a less time. It has a 64,000-grain capacity that is large enough to filter out iron from the water. This appliance has the capacity to remove the hardness up to 75 GPG.
- This water softener is quite expensive than compared to other softeners available in the market. You can easily get all these features at a low price in other water softeners.
- Also, the tank of this machine weighs around 200 pounds that are very heavy in weight. You will need help while installing such a heavy machine.
The Iron Pro 2 water softener uses the iron to get rid of the hardness of the hard water. Though this tool is expensive it is more effective at the same time to last for a long time. Therefore, you can enjoy the soft water with the help of this water softener (reference).
#7 NuvoH2O Water Softener
The Nuvo H2O is a salt-free water softener that is very effective in removing the hard water. It helps in removing the hard elements and reducing the pH level in water. So, it produces water free from the hard elements that will be safe to use for the household purposes.
It also prevents the scale build-up and corrosion on the plumbing tools and other accessories. This softener is small and compact in design, so it is very easy to use and install it. It has a large capacity of 60,000 grain that can generate a large amount of water in a very less time.
This water softener is best suitable for the house with 6 or more members. Also, the water flow in this softener is around 12-15 gpm through the one-inch port. So, you can dispense a large amount of water through this port. It does not use salt for softening the water, so the water will be safe for drinking purpose.
- Large capacity
- This water softener has a large capacity of softening the water in a very less time. It has up to 50000 gallons of water capacity to produce the soft water at one time. So, it is best suitable for the family having 4 to 5 members.
- Salt-free system
- This is a salt-free softener that means it does not use salt for softening the water. It uses the nanotechnology to remove the hard elements from the water (reference). It uses the citric acid that prevents the plumbing tools from getting rust or corrosion.
- Protect from the harmful effects of salt
- As this water softener doesn’t use salt for softening the water, so it will prevent you from the harmful effects of salt. It will also protect your health from the harmful hard elements and salt that is used in other softeners.
You can buy this water softener with the appropriate size depending on the members of the family. This salt-free tool is very effective in softening the water in a very less time. It easily removes the scale buildup near the water supply pipes and other plumbing tools (reference).
- If the water supply at your home is extremely hard, then this may not work for you. You have to frequently change the cartridge filter of this unit that can cost you a lot (reference).
- This device is quite more expensive compared to other water softeners in the market.
This water softener is more effective in softening the water without using salt. The only downside of the softener is that it is not suitable for the area where the water is having a high hardness level. So, this can be a good option if you are looking for a salt-free water softener.
#8 GE GXSH45V 45,100 Grain Water Softener
This is a product from the famous manufacturer of the electrical items named General Electric (reference). It designs efficient and powerful water softeners at a reasonable price range. This company manufactures different softeners to fit various households having a capacity of different grains.
The GE GXSH45V is a good quality water softener that removes the hard elements from the water in a very less time. It has the capacity of around 45,100 grain that makes the softening job quicker than usual. You will get the water free from any type of hard elements present in the water.
This water softener operates on the SmartSoft technology that helps it to work continuously. It will help in delivering the water at a constant rate, so you will not run out of the soft water. This machine works on the salt technology and the tank has the capacity told 230 pounds of salt at one time.
- High hardness removal:- You will get the water free from any type of hard elements with this softener. It has the maximum hardness removal capacity when compared to other water softeners. The system has 160 gpg level of hardness removal and iron removal of 10 ppm (reference).
- SmartSoft technology:- The GE water softener works on the SmartSoft technology. This will help the device to learn the pattern of your family members and adjust itself accordingly. It can easily adjust itself and start the regeneration process by itself (reference).
- Easy controls:- The unit has very easy controls that make it easy to use the water softener. You will be notified when the salt level goes below the recommended level. It also has the light indicators that indicate you about the water level and hardness removal.
The above are some of the best features of this water softener from General Electric. It has the capacity to automatically start the regeneration process for efficient working of the softener (reference).
- This water softener has a very less capacity of iron removal compared to other softeners. It has a very low iron parts per million for treating the hard water.
- It is not suitable for the family having more than 6 members. This softener is also not suitable to treat the water having a high hardness level (reference).
This water softener is best suitable for the area where the hardness level of the water is low or moderate. It is very effective in removing the hard elements from the hard water. As there are such cool features on this product, we recommend this softener to our customers.
#9 ABCwaters Portable Water Softener 16,000 Grain Capacity
This water softener is an ideal choice for the small household where the requirement of the soft water is less. It eliminates the hardness in the water by removing the hard minerals from it. You can also use this softener for different purposes like car washing and also for boats.
It is very easy to install and even the handling part is fun with the easy controls. You can easily set up the softener by using the user manual. The regeneration process can start within a few minutes by using the salt technique. This softener makes use of solar or rock salt which is effective in producing a large amount of soft water in a very less time.
The softener has a great capacity of producing 2000 gallons of water per regeneration process. It is compact in size, so you can install it in your house and will accommodate in a very less space. There is a handle on the device that makes it easy to carry it anywhere without any difficulty.
- Easy regeneration process:- This water softener has a very easy regeneration process that helps to produce a large amount of soft water. It does this by removing the hard elements from the water. For this process, the softener uses proper amount of good quality salt (reference).
- Compact design:- This is a compact designed water softener having more capacity of softening. The design of this unit makes it easy to handle and use, without much hassle.
- Large capacity:- The softener has a large capacity of producing up to 2000 gallons of water during the regeneration process. You can do this process of regeneration within a few minutes.
You can easily install this water softener by reading the instructions given in the user manual. It provides you with many efficient features for softening the water by removing the hard elements (reference).
- Because of the compact design of this water softener, this is an ideal choice for the small household having less than 4 members.
- The installation process of this softener is very tricky and takes a long time. Though the user manual is provided with it then also you will take a lot of time over the installation process.
This water softener comes in a compact design, so you can easily install it anywhere in your house. You can also use this while traveling and get soft water anywhere and anytime. Overall, this a good choice if you ignore one or two small drawbacks of this water.
#10 Morton System Saver 30,000 Grain Water Softener M30
This water softener from Morton has a large capacity of softening the hard water in a very less time. The machine can effectively deal with the medium to high level of hardness. You can use this softener even for the large families having more than six members.
The softener has a 30,000-grain capacity and it works on the electronic technology that is named as “look ahead”. With this technology, it can automatically adjust the water consumption for future usage (reference). This will help to regenerate the softener at the right time with using the right amount of salt.
This tool has the capacity of holding up to 200 pounds of the salt in the salt tank. It works on the principle of ion exchange process in which the ions of the calcium and magnesium are exchanged with the soft sodium ions. This way you will get the soft water by removing these hard element ions (reference).
- Large capacity:- The Morton water softener has a large capacity of 30,000 grain that is enough for the large households. So, it is suitable for all the type of households having less or more number of family members.
- High flow rate:- This softener has a high flow rate with the help of the 1.1-inch port. It has the flow rate of up to 11 gallons of water per minute. Therefore, you can dispense a large amount of water through this water softener.
- NSF certified:- All the parts of this water softener are built from the NSF certified materials (reference). So, it safe to use this water softener for your home as it is NSF certified.
- The warranty period that is offered with this softener is quite short compared to other softeners. It may cost you high if the product has any defect in near future.
- As this is a large capacity water softener, so it will consume a large amount of salt in every regeneration process. This will result in a frequent change of the salt bags in the salt tank of the softener.
The Morton Water Softener has a very large capacity of softening the hard water in a very less time. You can use this product without any maintenance for a longer period of time. Therefore, you can buy this softener for your home regardless of the family members.
The above are some of the best water softeners that we would recommend to our customers. The Fleck 5600SXT is on the top of our list because of its amazing softening capacity (reference). You can also buy the other softener that is best suitable to your requirements. Also, you must consider the number of family members while choosing the softener.
Why do you need a Water Softener?
It’s not that one must buy a Water Softener just because of he/she has got hard water in the supply end.
But there could be many possible reasons for buying the water softener. If the utensils end up with the stains after cleaning them and if your skin and air seem to be dry (reference). Then there is a possibility of the hard water in your house.
The water softener will help in removing the elements that are responsible for hard water. It not only remove such elements but also increases the life of plumbing machine. Even your clothes won’t fade out it’s colour quickly (reference). This way you can save a lot of money and time by buying a single item called water softener.
It is advisable to first determine the hardness level of the water supplied to your house. After that, you can buy the suitable water softener according to the hardness level. Below are some of the signs that show that you need a water softener for your place.
- Stain build up on your appliances
- If you are cleaning your appliance with the hard water, then you will notice white stains on them. The scale will build up on the appliances and other plumbing materials. The water softener will help reduce this scale by using the ion-exchange technology (reference).
- Your skin seems to be dry
- The hard water is not at all suitable for your skin, as it contains many harmful elements. If you feel your skin is becoming dry and itchy day-by-day, then this may be because of the hard water. The skin will become rough as those hard minerals reside in the pores of the skin.
- The clothes become gray or color fading away
- If the color of the clothes and the bedsheet is has started fading, then it is the sure sign of hard water (reference). You will have to make more effort while washing them. So, the best way to get rid of this fading color is to get an effective water softener.
- Frequent repairing of your plumbing
- There are many other negative side effects other than the clothes and skin. If there are steel pipes in your house, then they get easily corroded because of the hard water. Also, the water flow will be in a very low amount. The pipes of copper and PVC pipes are very effective while dealing with the hard water (reference).
- Your water-bill amount will increase
- As the hard water will clog the water pipes, so the pipes have to put in more work for the water flow. This may result in usage of more amount of water while flowing. As a result, your water bill will have a vast difference when compared to previous months.
- The glassware gets easily damaged
- If there are stains of the hard water on your glassware, then it will be difficult for you to clean them. This can also easily make them more prone to breakage. For this, you can start using a water softener to get over such problems (reference).
This way you can easily determine if you are suffering from the problem of hard water. If yes then must consider buying the water softener for you. We have seen the signs that justify when one needs a water softener. If you notice any above sign, then it is advisable to seriously look after that.
Different brands of Water Softener
If you are planning to buy a water softener, then you will come across many brands. There are many types of water softeners available from different brands in the market. They provide you with a wide range of product at different price range. You can actually get budget product with all the necessary features on it.
The popular brands among all include Fleck, Culligan, and Kinetico. But all other brands are also good in their own way and each of them has their significant specifications.
How does a Water Softener work?
The water softeners are very effective in removing the hard elements from the water. It has the ability to do this in a very less time without any mess. This completely removes all the hard minerals so that you can get soft water in the result (reference). Some of them work on the principle of ion exchange method which is well known these days.
In the ion exchange method, the ions are exchanged between the resin tank of the softener. When the water flows through the resin beads of the softener, then the ion exchange takes place. They come in contact with the salt ions of the softener salt present in the machine (reference).
You can process a large amount of water with the help of this ion exchange process. The harmful ions are replaced with the healthy ions in this process. The salt present in the water makes this process faster and effective. So, it is also advisable to regularly check this salt and change it at a regular interval of time.
As more and more amount of water is softened in the system, the resin beads get exhausted. So, it won’t work efficiently after a certain time. To gain the efficiency back, you need to recharge those beads by adding the salt of the softener (reference).
Calcium and magnesium ions get replaced with the sodium infused beads. After some time, the sodium level reduces, and it calls for a recharge. During that timer, regeneration process is carried out. In this process, salt is added to the machine and the beads are recharged with the sodium ions on it.
Nowadays the most used water softeners that work on the principle of ion exchange are DIR water softeners. The DIR stands for Demand Initiated Regeneration. This type of softeners track the water usage in your home and then automatically regenerates (reference). The regeneration occurs after a specific water usage that you have set.
Therefore, the water softener works very conveniently in softening the hard water. It has the ability to completely remove the hard contaminants from the water. You can also find the softeners that work on the different principle other than ion exchange (reference).
How to Install a Water Softener?
The installation process of the water softener varies from brand to brand. Each of them comes with their own set of instructions present in the user manual. You can easily install any water softener by properly following the instructions of that particular product. So, you must refer to these instructions before installing the appliance.
If you are replacing the old softener, then you can easily do this in less than an hour. But if you are installing it for the first time, then it may take a large amount of time. For the first installation, if you have prior knowledge of plumbing then it might be easy for you (reference).
Before you begin with the installation, make sure you have all the necessary tools and other accessories. If you are doing the installation process on your own, then you can follow the below steps:-
- Power off the main water supply.
- Firstly, you need to power off the main water supply before you begin the installation process. You can also drain the pipes by opening the lowest water valve from the supply.
- Now shut off the hot water heater and turn the power off.
- Locate the area in your house for installing the water softener.
- You have to locate the place where you have to install a new water softener. Make sure this place has a decent amount of water flow (reference).
- Measure the pipes that would connect to the bypass valve.
- Cut the required amount of pipes and measure them accordingly to easily fit the bypass valve. You have to attach these pipes to the compression fittings.
- Connect the brine tank to the overflow tube.
- You have to now connect the brine tank of the water softener to the overflow tube. You can refer the instruction manual to adjust the height.
Finally, you have to plug in the valve to the position of backwash. Open the valve of the softener slowly to let the water flow through it. If you want to add salt in the system, then it is advisable to read the instructions in the user manual. Thus, by following the above steps you can easily setup your new water softener.
How to Maintain a Water Softener?
The water softener works effectively in removing the hard elements like calcium and magnesium (reference). It softens the hard water by working constantly at a great speed. If you want to use the softener for a long time without any difficulty, then you have to keep a close eye on the maintenance of it.
There are different kinds of maintenance process of the various water softener. If you face any problem while using the water softener, then it may be the right for doing the maintenance. But you have to regularly check the salt level in the softener for effective working.
The salt is an essential component when it comes to water softening process. It plays a vital role in softening the hard water by removing the hard elements. As the resin beads are regenerated for the further softening, it is necessary to use a right amount of salt.
After you have replaced the salt bag of your water softener, it’s time to clean the brine tank. This is again a very important part in maintaining the machine. You have to frequently clean the brine tank at a regular time intervals. This will offer a easy water flow through the brine during the regeneration process.
If you are done with the cleaning of the brine tank, then you can start with the resin tank. The cleaning process of resin tank is much similar to that of the brine tank. You have to just take the resin tank from the system and dump it outside. After cleaning this tank, you can put it back into the softener (reference).
This way you can easily maintain your water softener without any additional cost. After cleaning the machine, you can effectively get the hard water transformed to soft water. If you are facing any difficulty with cleaning the softener, then you can take the help of an expert.
What Size of Water Softener do I need?
There are many types of water softeners are available in the market having different capacity. Based on the usage of water in your family, you can select the water softener.
If your family uses a large amount of water, then you can buy a water softener with a large capacity.
- How much is your consumption of water?
- It is one of the important factors to consider while buying any water softener. You must closely measure the amount of water that your family consumes throughout the day. Then based on this you can buy a suitable water softener for your home (reference).
Also, it is advisable to measure the hardness level of the water that is supplied to your house. All the softeners have a different capacity for dealing with the hard water. They work on a various process to deliver the soft water by removing the hard elements. The hardness level of the water is measured in terms of grains to be handled.
- Measure the hardness level of the water
- The hardness level of the water is again a key factor while choosing the water softener. You can easily check the hardness level in any laboratory (reference). This kind of level is measured in “gpg” that is grains per gallon. More the number of grains in the water, more the hardness level in the water.
After calculating the water usage and hardness level of the water, you can easily select the softener. A softener is an important machine for your house that will supply a large amount of water. So, make sure you buy the right size of water softener for your home.
How do I know if the Softener is working properly?
If you are using a water softener for your home and you regularly maintain it, then it will last for a long time without any difficulty. If your case is just the opposite, then you may face certain machine problems sooner or later. You can easily inspect if your water softener is working properly or not.
There can be many possible reasons behind the problem occurring in the softener. By following the below steps, you can easily get to know if your water softener is running properly or not.
- Unplug your water softener:- Before you proceed with the cleaning or inspecting process, make sure you unplug the unit from the power supply. This will help you prevent any type of electric shock.
- Find the system’s manual recharge button:- This button helps you to manually restart the device on a new cycle. You can find this button or knob at the top of the softener. If you don’t find the exact location, then refer to the user manual of the machine.
- Locate the timer of the softener:- There will be a timer on the water softener that automatically starts the regeneration process. Make sure the timer is running properly without any kind of interruption.
- Check the salt level in the brine tank:- You should regularly check the salt level in your water softener. Also, don’t forget to change the salt bags after every three to four months.
- Also, check the inside walls:- Inspect the brine tank thoroughly with its wall. You must deeply observe the walls of the brine tank for the salt build or other things. You can easily remove this buildup by using any soft brush.
- Restart the softener:- After you are done with the above steps, you can restart your water softener.
After restarting the softener, you can check whether it is working properly or not. This will help in knowing if your water softener is operating systematically. If the problem still persists, then you can hire an expert for the service of the softener.
How long does the Water Softener last?
There are many things to look for when you are buying a water softener. The durability is one of those important things consider when choosing a new water softener. You should buy the softener that is made from the high-quality materials so that you can use it for a long period.
Apart from the buildup quality, the life of the softener also depends on many other factors. It depends on the capacity of water softening, load, and also on the specific brand. There are many brands in softeners that provide the best water softeners to their customers.
- Amount of softening
- The life of the softener mainly depends on the amount of softening done by the water softener. You can expect more life if it is softening very less amount of water. If the softener is dealing with the water having a high hardness level. Then it will have a shorter lifespan compared to an average softener.
- Softener durability also depends on the settings you have set for it. If you have set it with ‘very soft’ water production, then it will have the least life.
- Proper servicing
- If you want your softener should last for years, then you have to take care of it. You have to service and clean the water softener at a regular interval of time.
- No doubt a new water softener is very effective in starting and have a better life. But there are many brands who have a reputation and provide decent quality products. You should buy the softener that has great features and durable construction.
The water softener normally has a life of about 10-15 years that also consist of the regular maintenance. They can also last for a longer period with proper cleaning and maintenance. If you are generating an average amount of water in a day, then it will last for years without any damage (reference).
Installation Cost of the Water Softener
If you are handy to the installation of different electronic gadgets, then you can easily install the water softener. You can also call the company expert to install the softener. This will cost you a little more but the installation will be quick and fast.
There are many different factors that affect the installation cost of the water softener (reference). The cost of the installation may depend on the capacity of the machine. The large capacity softeners will cost you more in the installation process. As the size of the softener will increase the installing cost will also increase.
If you are looking for a professional installation, then it will cost you around $100-$400. The minimum professional cost is around $100 and the maximum is $400. With this type of installation, you will get your softener ready without any kind of problems.
If you are planning to do the installation by yourself, then you must be totally aware of the things. Make sure you are familiar with all the tools and other accessories. But it is advisable to take the help of an expert for installing this system. Any plumbing mistake while the installation can cause a huge damage to the softener.
How to Set the Hardness level in the Water Softener?
The water softener is a very helpful device in softening the water by removing the hard materials. You have to program your system accordingly by considering the hardness in the water. If the water supply in your house contains plenty of hard elements, then the working may get a bit tough in this case. Then you have to set the softener at a high hardness level (reference).
This is a very important factor while using the water softener in your house. You have to keep a close eye while setting the hardness level on the softener. You should adjust in a such a way that you get the water at an optimal level free from the hard materials.
It is very easy to set the water softener. You won’t face any difficulty if you follow the steps given in this section. Following are the steps that you can follow to set the hardness level in the water softener:-
- Firstly, you have to press the “Select” button that is present on the left side. After that, you will see the “Hardness” word under the number.
- Now, look at the analysis report of the hardness level in the user manual of the device. You have to measure the hardness of the water that is supplied in your house (reference).
- After you have calculated it, multiply this number with five. You will have the value in terms of grains per gallons.
- The number calculated in the above step is the iron number. You have to add the gpg and iron number to finally get the hardness level.
- At last set this hardness number by pressing the + and – buttons. After you have set the number exit from the programming mode.
This way you can easily set the hardness level by following the above simple steps. Now the softener will work according to the hardness level you have set. So, set your softener at an optimum level to get the maximum benefit from it. If you have not set it at a right level, then it may damage the plumbing tools.
What happens when the Water Softener runs out of salt?
If you are using a water softener that uses salt to remove the hard elements from the water, then it is very important to change the salt bags at a regular intervals. The salt is a very important material in this process of generating the soft water.
The water softener uses an adequate amount of salt for the softening process. So, once you have added the salt in the system then it may not last for a long time. If you are feeling that the water generated is not soft, then its time to add the salt. It is advisable to regularly check the salt level in the softener.
If your water softener runs out of salt, then the machine will not run effectively. It will produce the water without removing the hard elements from the water. You won’t get the soft water until you add the sufficient amount of salt in the softener.
As the salt is an important thing in water softening (reference), you should maintain it at an optimum level. You must check the salt level once in a month. If you feel the water is not removing the hard elements, then check the salt level in the brine tank. You can check the required salt level in the user manual of the softener.
If the softener is running without salt, then the machine will lose its efficiency. After adding the salt, your softener will efficiently work in producing the soft water. Therefore, the salt must be added to the water softener to let it work properly without any problem.
How to determine the Hard Water?
The hard water contains many harmful elements like magnesium and calcium. These minerals are very harmful and can have a negative effect on your body and also on plumbing tools. If you are using hard water for all the household purposes, then it may leave a stain on the utensils.
This type of water can affect the human body but it is also a concern for the pipes and other tools. It can build up large clogs inside the pipes that will result in the reduced water flow. The hard water results in increase in soap and shampoo amount, compared to that in normal soft water.
There are many different ways to determine the hard water that is supplied in your house. The easiest and simplest way to determine the hardness is the laboratory test. But this test is quite expensive and may take a lot of time to provide the results. So, we don’t recommend this test to determine the hardness level.
- Soapsuds test:- In this type of test, you have to fill the bottle with 1/3 of the water. It should be 8 to 10 ounces of water in the bottle. Now, you have to add about 10 drops of liquid soap into the water bottle. And shake the bottle for at least 10 seconds.
- If this soapy solution produces foam very quickly and there is a clear layer of water under it. Then the water is quite soft and you don’t have to worry about it.
- And if the solution does not generate foam in the bottle with the cloudy surface at the bottom. Then the water is likely to be hard consisting of the hard elements.
- Do It Yourself test:- This is a test which can be done by anyone to test the hardness level. With this test, you can easily determine the hard water with by the help of a kit. This type of kits for water quality are easily available in the market. It is recommended to buy the kit which is made by a reputed manufacturer company.
- One of the simple kits for this is a wet-strip test. You have to drip this strip in the bowl that is filled with the tap water. If the color of the strip is changing from the original, then you can know the hardness level by seeing the manual provided with this strip kit.
These above two test that determines the hardness level of the water that is supplied to your house. You can use any of the above two steps as they provide efficient and fast results (reference). There may be other tests to determine the hard water but we found these tests to be more effective.
How much Salt to put in a Water Softener?
The hard water consists of many hard elements like calcium, magnesium, and other carbonates. If you are using a water softener for softening the hard water, then the system that uses salt is very convenient. Because the salt is very much effective and fast in getting rid of the hard water.
In a water softener, the salt plays an important role in softening the hard water. So, it is very important to check the salt in your water softener at a regular interval of time. Also, if you put a large amount of salt in your softener then it won’t work properly. You will not get the water free from the hard elements.
Similarly, if you run the water softener having a low quantity of salt, then also the softener is not going to produce effective results. So, you must fill the adequate amount of salt in the water softener. Now a question may arise in your mind that how much salt to put in a water softener.
- Firstly, you have to buy a good quality of salt of a reputed company. While selecting the salt for your softener, look its quality over its price. A good quality salt will be more effective and produces better results.
- Now the amount of salt required to fill in the water softener totally depends on the usage of the water on a daily basis. You can check the exact amount in the user manual of the product.
- Also, for better results, you must stick to one type of salt only of the same company. It will help to avoid any kind of complications like water clogging.
This way you can add a right amount of salt in your water softener. By adding a right amount of salt, the softener will effectively produce soft water in a very less time. If you are still facing any difficulty, then you can contact the company expert for further help.
Which Type of Salt is suitable for Water Softener?
The salt is one of the most important things that is needed in any water softener for effective softening the water. If you are using a salt water softener, then you must be aware of the importance of salt. It helps in increasing the speed of softening by removing the hard elements.
If the amount of the salt decreases, then the brine tank will work slowly and takes more time for softening the water. So, you have to fill the right amount of salt in the brine tank for an effective softening process. Also, it is very important to select the suitable salt for your water softener (reference).
There are many different types of salt of various brands are available in the market. You can buy the type of salt that is best suitable to your water softener. The following are the different kinds of salt that are available for the water softeners:-
- Rock Salt:- This is a type of salt that is mined underground. It contains all the minerals that are made from the salt deposits during the soil erosion (reference). It is considered very effective as it contains other healthy minerals other than sodium chloride.
- With this type of salt, you will get better results in the softening process of water. But the only downside of this salt is that you have to clean the softener more frequently. This is because it leaves the added elements in the softener other than sodium chloride.
- Solar salt:- The solar salt is another form of salt that is used for softening the hard water. It is the form of the salt that is formed from the evaporated seawater. This salt has a very high solubility rate to be dissolved in the water. After dissolving it works effectively in softening the water. The solar salt is not suitable if you are using it for a high hardness level of the water.
Both the above types of salt has a very large capacity of softening the hard water (reference). You can use any of the above salt types for your water softener. If you are dealing with a low hardness level, then you can use the rock salt for it. And Solar salt is suitable for the water having high hardness level.
Whole House Water Filter vs Water Softener
If you are looking for a water filtration system, then you may get confused between the water filter and the water softener (reference). This depends on what is the final quality of water you required for the drinking purpose. There is very much difference in working on both these appliances. They both treat the water in a different way.
Before choosing any of these machines, you have to understand the working of both the machines. The water softener is used to remove the hard elements from the water and on the other side, the water filter helps to filter the water. It removes all such impurities that are harmful to the human body (reference).
They also use a different technology to filter and for removing the hard materials from the water. The water filter uses variety of techniques to get rid of the pollutants from the water. The water that comes out from this filter is safe to use for the drinking and other household purposes.
- A water filter helps in removing the harmful contaminants from the water. It makes the water safe for the drinking purpose (reference). And the water softener helps to reduce the hardness level in the water. It also helps in decreasing the scale buildup in the plumbing tools.
While in the water softener, it uses ion exchange process to remove the calcium and magnesium from the water. The resins are used in the water softeners for effective working of the softening process. This will help in reducing the hardness level by removing the hard elements from the water.
Both these tools are widely used for softening and filtering purpose. You have to make the final choice of which machine to buy for your place. Before buying any of the above systems, you must test the water that is supplied in your house (reference). This will help you to choose the better appliance based on the water testing result.
How to replace the Water Softener?
If you are looking to install a new water softener by replacing the old one. Then you can do the replacement of the water softener in a very less time by following the simple steps. It is very easy to replace it as the wiring and plumbing of the old water softener is already done.
All the water softeners have the same installation or replacement procedure. If you have installed the old softener by yourself, then it will be very easy for you to replace it (reference). You can follow the below steps to easily replace the water softener without any difficulty.
- Firstly, remove the power from the existing water softener.
- Now you have to turn off the main water supply.
- After that, you have to set the bypass valve. You will find this valve on the back side of the water softener. If there are inlet and outlet valves, then close these valves.
- Take out any good salt or other material from the softener. Also, remove the clips and separate it from the copper wires.
- Now drain the old softener till the water completely drains from the appliance.
- Connect the new water softener with the inlet and outlet valves. Check the water supply to the different pipes in the machine.
- Fill the salt tank with the suitable salt in the right quantity.
- Now plug the main supply and open the water supply.
- Finally, you have to start the replaced water softener that you installed now. For further details, you can check the user manual on how to use the softener and its controls.
This way you can easily replace the water softener by removing the old water softener. If you exactly follow the above steps, then you won’t face any difficulty while replacing the system. You can also contact an expert if you face any difficulty in the above process.
What is a Water Softener?
A water softener is a machine that produces soft water from the hard water. It does so by removing the hard elements that are present in the water. It helps to remove the calcium and magnesium from the water by using the salt in the system. This softener can also remove the iron ions other than the calcium and magnesium ions.
The salt water softeners are very popular these days as they are very efficient in producing the soft water. When the water is hard, then it may clog the water pipes and can have many other negative effects. This can also build up the scale near the plumbing tools that will result in the damage of these appliances.
The water softener uses different types of salt based on the hardness level of the water. It uses the types of salt like Rock salt, solar salt, and even potassium. It is recommended to use the rock salt for the water having a high hardness level. You can use solar salt for a low level of hardness in the water.
By using the water softener you can increase the life of the soap and detergent that you use at your home. It also prevents the water pipes from the corrosion that is done by the harmful hard elements. You can buy the softener by considering the number of members living in your family.
By this, we have reached at the end of this article on Water Softener. Hope you are clear with the information provided about the water softener. If you have any query regarding this article, then you can reach us at Water Softener. Also, you can leave your feedback and thoughts in the comment section. Thank you.